Sunday, November 8, 2009

Choo Choo: Jimmy Choo >> H&M

A sailboat, a vacation, a nice car. Now, these are typical things fifth-graders would spend their first paycheck on. I, on the other hand, had a different vision. I imagined myself spending my first paycheck on a fabulous pair of Jimmy Choo heels.



That's why I'm ecstatic to report that one of my favorites, Swedish retail giant H&M, has teamed up with the luxury British label to create a highly-anticipated collection for Fall/Winter 2009. The line, which will be available in 200 selected stores around the world, encompasses both women's and men's pieces that personify the Jimmy Choo brand image while also maintaining the inclusiveness of H&M's high street store philosophy.

I will admit, I was as skeptical as I was intrigued when I first encountered the fashionably-loud Jimmy Choo/H&M ads that took over the Victoria tube station, given other designer/discount store flops such as Alice & Olivia for Payless ShoeSouce (Ew?) or Vera Wang for Kohl's. Whether or not it's about the downright inconsistency of such strategic alliances, something instinctive always tends to tell me that designer looks for cheap prices is just too good to be true. The difference with this particular match up, however, is that H&M historically has personified high-fashion items without compromising quality or value provided to consumers. Looks like we'll just have to see what unfolds after I take a little trip to Oxford Street!

Here's to you, fashion. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment